NATURAL GAS INCENTIVES FOR EXISTING HOMES
An incentive of $1,000 is offered to natural gas customers of Huntsville Utilities who convert their electronic or propane heating systems to a central natural gas heating system. Checks are mailed within three weeks.
1. Must have access to natural gas from Huntsville Utilities (Note: if not a current natural gas customer, contact Natural Gas Engineering at 256-535-1214).
2. Must be converting an electric or propane heating system to a central natural gas heating system. Both gas furnaces and dual fuel heat pumps are eligible (Note: replacing an existing natural gas system with a new natural gas system is not considered a conversion and would not be eligible for the incentive).
3. A simple “Incentives Application Form” must be completed and signed by the representative of a licensed HVAC contractor to verify the existing system type. This form can be obtained through the Community Relations Department at 256-535-1485 or 256-532-8162 or by email: email@example.com
4. Must provide a copy of the receipt showing the purchase and installation of the new system.
5. Must deliver a copy of the permit report from the inspection department of jurisdiction (Note: an inspection is required by state law for all new gas heating system installations).
Scan and email all documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to:
PO Box 2048
Huntsville, AL 35804
Tap Fees for New Gas Service
A tap fee in the amount of $445 is to be applied to the customer’s utility account upon application for a new natural gas service. This fee may be credited back to the customer’s utility account after a receipt proving system installation and the inspection report have been delivered. Receipts are to be delivered to:
Community Relations Department
PO Box 2048
Huntsville, AL 35804
Natural Gas Incentives for New Homes
This certification is designed to enhance re-sale value. It includes a plaque showing adherence to state of Alabama Energy Code and verification of fuel efficient appliances. An incentive of $1,000 is also available.
1. Must install a natural gas furnace or duel fuel heat pump AND a natural gas water heater.
2. Must work through Huntsville Utilities’ Community Relations Department to verify compliance to State of Alabama Energy Code (Note: Incentive checks are typically mailed within a three-week period. Contact HU’s Comunity Relations Department at 256-535-1485 or email: email@example.com)
Requirements for Incentive Only
1. Installation of a natural gas furnace or dual fuel heat pump (Note: installation may be verified through HU’s New Homes Program or through delivery of a dated receipt showing the location and date of the installation. Contact Community Relations at 256-535-1485 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Customer Requirements
1. Incentives are offered to the original applicant of service to a new home and not to those who wish to transfer existing services into their name.
2. Homes must have access to HU’s natural gas supply lines. Residents who heat with natural gas or propane purchased from other companies are not eligible (Note: Access to HU’s natural gas supply lines can be confirmed through HU’s Natural Gas Engineering Department at 256-535-1214).
Tap Fees for New Homes
A non-refundable tap fee of $445 is required upon application for all natural gas new home incentives (Note: builders are typically referred to the Commercial Applications Department on the 2nd floor, and homeowners are referred to the Residential Applications Department on the 1st floor. Either department is able to respond).