Volunteering in Our Community
The HU Volunteer Council facilitates community outreach and employee volunteer programs throughout our region. HU employees support meaningful community initiatives through volunteer hours, supply drives, and participation in local events.
Huntsville Utilities employees lend their support to these major community initiatives on an annual basis.
- The American Cancer Society Relay for Life
- March of Dimes
- United Way
Huntsville Utilities sponsors or participates in many events throughout the community every year. Here are a few of our latest activities:
- The Liz Hurley Ribbon Run
- Lite it Up Pink for Breast Cancer Research
- Salvation Army
- Tools for Schools
Since 2003, Huntsville Utilities has hosted Huntsville City, Madison County, Madison City, Private and Home-Based Schools for educational field trips. Over 30 different schools and home-based organizations have participated in our program. Education Days field trips include 4 components:
- The Training Yard – An outdoor training facility where apprentice linemen learn how to work safely on electric circuits. A staged fuse explosion, pole climbing exhibitions, and a pole-top rescue make this an exciting presentation.
- The Bucket Truck – Students get an up-close look at the tools and equipment on a well-organized bucket truck. A teacher or parent chaperone is chosen to ride in the bucket as it rises 65 feet into the air!
- Dispatch Center – Dispatchers explain what happens during major outages and how the Huntsville Utilities team responds.
- Natural Gas Concepts – Students learn about this efficient energy form, where it comes from and how we use it to power our community. Natural Gas Safety Demonstrations are an exciting and interactive component of this program.
- Our Water System – Students learn about the history, design and quality of our community’s water system. Students gain an appreciation for the value of water in relation to the low rates we pay for water in our homes.
Education Days Field Trips are generally held in October. Attendees are scheduled in September. Click here to request more information.