1805 – John Hunt settles near Big Spring.
1823 – Huntsville Waterworks is founded by Hunter Peel. Hollowed cedar logs were used as pipes, and a wooden storage tank served as a reservoir. Huntsville Waterworks relied upon Big Spring as its water source. It was Alabama’s first public water system.
1836 – Dr. Thomas Fearn purchased Huntsville Waterworks and extended the system lines.
1856 – Huntsville City Council bought $1,000 stock in a gasworks plant owned by Dr. F.H. Newman. The Gas Company laid pipe and lit the Huntsville square with 8 gas lamps on posts. Gas lighting for residential use continued until about 1910.
1858 – Dr. Fearn sold Huntsville Waterworks to the City of Huntsville. It began operations as a municipal organization.
1887 – The City of Huntsville began research on the use of an electric lighting system for the community. The Huntsville Electric Company was founded, and it began delivering electric power to city residents. By 1900, most residents put away their old, standby oil lamps.
1913 – Huntsville Railway, Light and Power Company bought the electric system and began delivering electricity throughout city streets.
1914 – The first water purification practices were implemented.
1915 – Alabama Power Company purchased the electric system from Huntsville Railway, Light and Power Company. Electric power lines were improved, yet the city continued to draw power from an electric steam generating plant for another 4 years.
1919 – Huntsville was connected to an electric transmission network serving other cities in the state with electricity generated through hydropower from dams on the Tennessee River.
1924 – The first rural electric power line in Alabama was built down Whitesburg Drive to Lily Flagg.
1940 – The City of Huntsville bought the electric system from Alabama Power and entered into a contract with Tennessee Valley Authority for the purchase of power. The Huntsville Electric Utility Board was appointed to run the municipal system. At the time, 5810 Huntsville and Madison County consumers made up the local electric system.
1941 – Construction began on Redstone Arsenal spurring dramatic population growth and increased demand for electricity.
1946 – The local gas company was purchased by Alabama Gas Corporation. A new plan which produced propane and air for gas was built, and additional infrastructure was developed.
1950 – The City of Huntsville purchased the gas system and contracted with the Alabama-Tennessee National Gas Company to pipe natural gas into Huntsville.
1954 – The first Water Board was appointed. The first Gas Utility Board was formed.
1955 – Dallas and Lincoln Water Wells were bought by the Water System. Big Spring was not used as a water source after 1957.
1958 – Downtown Huntsville’s new Electric Service Center was dedicated. The new building combined administrative and operating services at one central location.
1964 – The first water treatment plant was built, and it drew water from the Tennessee River.
1974 – TVA began generating electricity using nuclear energy as fuel at the Brown’s Ferry Generating Plant.
1985 – In February a devastating ice storm hit the Tennessee Valley causing electric outages for up to six days due to damage from trees falling on power lines. Utility crews from Huntsville and neighboring utilities worked together in brutal weather conditions to restore power.
1987 – Construction began on Interstate 565 requiring Huntsville Utilities to relocate infrastructure for electricity, natural gas and water utilities along the 22 –mile long stretch.
1989 – In November an F4 tornado left a path of destruction through south Huntsville. Utility crews worked alongside emergency personnel to assist with safe rescue of trapped residents as well as working to restore power.
1991 – In effort to improve system reliability and planning, a tree trimming ordinance was passed by Huntsville City Council. An appointed committee now helps Huntsville Utilities plan for the trimming of trees in the city, as well as provides guidance on care and placement to residents and businesses.
1993 – An ice storm in March caused severe damage to the electric system resulting in power outages which lasted several days.
1996 – Construction began for the Chase Service Center which is comprised of three buildings housing the Electric Operations Department, a customer service center and a fleet maintenance garage.
1999 – Construction began on the Triana Service Center to house Gas and Water Operations.
1999 – The EnergyRight Solutions new homes program was introduced by Huntsville Utilities and TVA to encourage energy efficient new home construction.
2001 – The renovation for the Administrative Building in downtown Huntsville was completed.
2005 – The new Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) was implemented to allow customers to check general account information, make payment agreements and conduct a variety of other choices, all without the assistance of a utility employee.
2008 – Huntsville Utilities embarked on a significant change in business application through Phase 1 of a new SAP Business Suite software system designed to provide new and improved functionality in one integrated computer system.
2009 – The South Parkway Water Treatment Plant expansion project was completed which increased the system treatment capacity by 12 MGD for an approximate total of 100 MGD.
2011 – In April a series of tornados ripped through the area disrupting power delivery from TVA and interrupting 100% of Huntsville Utilities service area. Working with TVA and crews from other power companies, Huntsville Utilities restored power to all inhabitable structures in under 10 days.
2015 – Construction begins on the new Southeast Water Treatment Plant. The first phase will provide an additional 24 MGD of pumping capacity to HU water customers.
Today, Huntsville Utilities provides water, gas and electricity to over 350,000 customers in Madison County and parts of Marshall & Limestone Counties.