Start, Stop, or Transfer Service

It’s easy to establish service or make changes to your account using your online account. Log on to My Account to get started.

Residential Service Requirements

1. Two forms of Identification (government issued) are required to establish service.

A. Primary Forms of Identification

  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Non-Driver ID
  • Gun Permit with Photo
  • US Military ID Card
  • FAA Issued Pilots License
  • Matricula Consular ID Card or similar forms of ID issued by other national governments
  • US Passport
B. Secondary Forms of Identification

  • Social Security Card
  • Birth Certificate (certified copy)
  • Voters Registration
  • Medicare or Medicaid Card
  • W-2 Forms
  • Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Hunting, Fishing or Gun Permit (without photo)
  • Selective Service Identification Card
  • Naturalization Document
  • Employee Identification Card

2. Huntsville Utilities requires a $300.00 deposit. For more detailed information regarding deposits, see Residential Security Deposits Policy.

The residential deposit may be reduced to $100 if a customer meets one of the three conditions below:

  • Satisfactory Credit with Huntsville Utilities – The customer has had service with Huntsville Utilities within the last five (5) years with an excellent payment history as defined by the Huntsville Utilities Collection Activity criteria* for the last thirty six (36) months. The same criteria will apply when moving from one location to another.
  • Excellent Credit Score – When a new customer applying online for service receives an excellent credit score from a third party credit reporting agency. 
  • Guarantee of Account – The customer provides a properly executed Guarantee of Account with Huntsville Utilities. The Guarantor must have a current account with Huntsville Utilities with at least thirty-six (36) months of continuous service with an excellent payment history as defined by Huntsville Utilities Collection Activity criteria*.

 *Huntsville Utilities Collection Activity

  • Past Due Letters
  • Disconnection scheduled due to non-payment
  • Returned check or draft
  • Any amount in Huntsville Utilities bad debt account, currently or within the past 7 years

3. A non-refundable service charge is required to establish or transfer services. For accelerated service additional fees will apply.

4. If your Huntsville Utilities Account has been discontinued because of non-payment of a past due bill, the past due balance must be paid in full at the time of application.

Start – How to Apply (New or Returning to the Area?)

Moving to the Area?  (New Residential Customer – Starting Service)*

Apply Online to send a request to Huntsville Utilities to Start Service at your home. To validate and protect your identity, you will be asked a series of security questions. Customers applying for utility service for the first time with Huntsville Utilities should complete and submit the online application.

Returning Customer? (Previously had Service w/Huntsville Utilities)*

To send an online request to start service at your home, click here to log on or to register for online access.

Additional Options

Apply by Mail

Print and complete the Residential Contract for Utilities and mail to our office with deposit and copy of required ID’S.

Apply in Person

Main Office (112 Spragins Street) 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Apply by Apartments on Contract:
Huntsville Utilities partners with many of the apartment complexes in our area to make your move easier. Check with your apartment manager to see if they offer the option of applying for your utility service through their organization.

*If your request for service needs to be completed within two (2) business days, please do not use online or fax options.

Additional Service – Do you need service at an additional residence?

Note: Every residential account requires a security deposit.

To send an online request for additional services, Click here to log on or to register for online access.

Note: Once logged in – select the MOVE IN option to start an additional account.

Main Office (112 Spragins Street) 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Stop - Closing your account

To send an online request to Stop Service at your home, Click here to log on or to register for online access.

BY PHONE: Call (256) 535-1200 Monday-Friday (7 a.m. – 6 p.m.)

Main Office (112 Spragins Street) 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Transfer - Moving from one residence to another?

To send an online request to Transfer Service to a new address, Click here to log on or to register for online access.

BY PHONE: Call (256) 535-1200 Monday-Friday (7 a.m. – 6 p.m.)

Main Office (112 Spragins Street) 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Note: Customers who have recently moved into a new service address during the middle of a billing cycle, may receive a partial months bill.

© Copyright Huntsville Utilities Forms Support FAQ Supported Browsers Privacy Policy Terms of Use Site Map
Huntsville Utilities is an equal opportunity residential utility service provider. We do not discriminate in the terms, conditions, or provision of services based on race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, or national origin.

Huntsville Utilities es un proveedor de servicios residenciales publicos (electricidad, gas y agua) que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades. Nosotros no discriminamos en los terminos, las condiciones, o las provisiones de nuestros servicios basados en la raza, religion, color, sexo, discapacidad, estado familiar u origen nacional.