Natural Gas Safety
If a leak is suspected, call Huntsville Utilities at 256-535-4448 (256-53LIGHT).
When handled properly, natural gas is a clean and safe form of energy. Appliances that are installed and maintained according to the manufacturer’s guidelines will provide many years of worry-free use.
In its native form, natural gas is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Huntsville Utilities injects a very detectable odor into the natural gas before it enters the local pipeline system. This odorant has a smell resembling the smell of rotten eggs which is maintained so the smell is detectable well before the gas reaches the flammability range.
If you smell gas:
- Leave the area and go to a safe location.
- Do not smoke. Do not use lighters or matches.
- Do not turn off/on any switches or appliances.
- Do not use a phone or cell phone.
- Call Huntsville Utilities immediately – 256-53LIGHT (256-535-4448).
Some signs of a gas leak include:
- An odor resembling rotten eggs
- Blowing or hissing sound
- Dust blowing from a hole in the ground
- A spot of dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
Call Before You Dig - Alabama 811
The Alabama One-Call Law applies to everyone, including homeowners, contractors, etc., to prevent digging into a gas line or any underground utility. For more information, see our Dig Safely page. Pipeline markers are placed at some but not all key locations where a gas pipeline crosses streets, driveways, etc. Our markers have phone numbers on them requesting excavators to call prior to digging in the area.
In the event that any person “hits”, “punctures”, etc. a gas line or any utility line, STOP ALL EQUIPMENT AND EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Contact the Huntsville Utilities Emergency Number 256-535-4448 at once; report even minor damage such as dents, scrapes, or chips. Do not cover the line.